Missed Payments

When a custodial parent has not received court ordered support payments, a call must be made to IDHFS. You do not contact the State’s Attorney’s Office. IDHFS will review the case and decide if administrative remedies are appropriate or if judicial enforcement is warranted. 

  • Intercept state and federal income tax refund checks
  • Intercept lottery winnings
  • Withhold unemployment benefits
  • Place liens on property
  • Seize bank accounts
  • Place holds on passports, professional license and federal payments

In most cases, IDHFS sends a referral to the State’s Attorney's Office (SAO) for enforcement. The SAO will file a rule to show cause. In the event the non-custodial parent (NCP) fails to appear on the day of hearing, a body attachment will be issued for their failure to appear. If the NCP appears for the hearing and the judge finds the NCP’s failure to pay was contemptuous, the NCP could be sentenced up to 6 months in jail. The NCP will be given a “purge”–the amount of money that must be paid to get out of jail. If the NCP pays the purge, the jail sentence does not have to be served.