Changing Payments

Child support is set by a court order for a set period of time. Custodial and noncustodial parents cannot agree to change the terms of the order and must contact IDHFS in the event any changes may need to be made. Either parent can contact IDHFS.   IDHFS will review the request and refer to the State’s Attorney’s Office if a change is warranted.  Types of changes to court orders include:

  • Petitions to modify child support
  • Petitions to extend child support
  • Petitions for entry of judgment
  • Petitions for registration of foreign order (allows enforcement of an order from another jurisdiction)